Timely rains helped many South Dakota farmers grow record crops in 2016 and that’s reflected in the results of an annual corn yield contest sponsored by the South Dakota Corn Growers Association.
Nine winning entries topped 280 bushels per acre. The highest yield was 294.35 bushels per acre in the irrigated category, produced by repeat winner Kory Standy of Platte. Scott McKee of Hawarden, Iowa, who farms in South Dakota, is a first-place winner for the fourth consecutive year, claiming honors in the non-irrigated category .
The South Dakota contest is held in conjunction with the National Corn Yield Contest, which is in its 52nd year. Nationally, 7,972 entries were received and five surpassed the 400-bushels-per-acre mark.
Here’s a list of South Dakota winners, including seed brand, hybrid and yield.
RANK/NAME/CITY BRAND HYBRID YIELD
- Scott McKee, Hawarden, Iowa Dekalb DKC62-97RIB 288.92
- Eric Kroupa, Pukwana Dekalb DKC62-97RIB 285.10
- Dean Bosse, Elk Point Pioneer P1197AM 284.55
- Zachary McKee, Hawarden, Iowa Pioneer P1197AMXT 287.27
- Kurt Hoeft, Mellette Dekalb DKC49-72RIB 276.00
- Travis Swisher Groton Dekalb DKC46-79RIB 270.97
- Kory Standy, Platte Dekalb DKC62-97RIB 294.35
- LaRohn Hagena, Davis Pioneer P1197AM 289.56
- Jarrod Hagena, Hurley Pioneer P0157AMX 283.38
No-till/strip till irrigated
- Val Mosel, Pukwana Dekalb DKC60-67RIB 289.97
- Darren Mosel, Chamberlain Dekalb DKC62-97RIB 283.79
- Samuel Waldner, Huron Pioneer PO589AM 268.97