Jim Woster kicks off National Ag Week by saying, “Thank You,” from all of us to America’s family farms and ranches.
Here are a few stats about South Dakota’s number one industry (agriculture) that are worth celebrating.
- 98% of family farms and ranches are family owned and operated.
- South Dakota is home to 31,700 farms.
- More than 2,700 South Dakota farms have been in the same family for over 100 years.
- Agriculture employs more than 115,000 hardworking South Dakotan’s, more than 30% of the state’s entire workforce.
- Agriculture generates $25.6 billion each year, more than 20% of the state’s entire economic activity.